Friday, October 21, 2011

Interview with G.L. Breedon, author of THE WIZARD OF TIME

Today I would like to welcome G.L. Breedon to the blog. He's the author of The Wizard of Time. A fantastic YA Fantasy novel. You can read my review here.

How long did it take you from idea to publishing your novel?

About three and a half years ago, I had a dream where I was in a bookstore and some kids were looking at a series of books, so I wandered over checked the covers. I discovered the books were by me and that they were about time travel and magic. I figured a dream like that was a good omen, so I spent a few weeks daydreaming the story into existence and then six months working on the notes before I began writing. Then I spent another six months editing it down, because I had over written.  After two and a half years of trying to interest an agent or a publisher, I decided to publish it myself.

Wow, that's an awesome omen to write. Are you a plotter or pantser?

I plot. Then I re-plot. Then I wait and think, and re-plot again. Then I start writing and re-plot one more time after I see how things are developing. I’m a big believer in plotting in advance of writing, especially for a time travel novel where what happens and when it happens is crucial to being able to understand the story. I also think plotting the story out before writing helps in figuring out the flow of the action and allows me to determine when to slow things down and spend some time on character development and when to pick up the pace and get back to the central conflict of the story.  

What are you writing now or have forthcoming?

I have another YA fantasy novel coming out in the beginning of October called The Dark Shadow of Spring (The Young Sorcerers Guild – Book 1). It’s about a group of young mages in a secluded valley where magic still works and the adventures they have confronting an ancient soul-enslaving evil known as the Shadow Wraith. I’ve written a sequel to it and I am currently working of the sequel to The Wizard of Time. I also have a YA sci-fi novel that I’m editing with hopes of releasing sometime next year.

Congrats for your newest book! I always find it interesting to learn what other authors are reading. If you could recommend a book—not your own—what book would that be?

One book? Just one? Wow. That’s hard. The first one that comes to mind is Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. It’s an amazing novel. It is so well written and so well told that I am overcome with artistic jealousy every time I think about it. It’s rare to find a fantasy novel these days that isn’t part of a series and Tigana is one of the few novels where I found myself desperately wishing that it did have a sequel.  

Wow, I haven't heard of that one and it is really rare to find a fantasy book without a series attached. 

Thank you for joining us!

Title: The Wizard of Time (Book 1)
Author: G.L. Breedon
Publisher: Kosmosaic Books
Release: July 21, 2011
Length: 295 pages (101,000 words)
Age Group:  Young Adult
Website
Website Book Info
Amazon.com Link
Barnes & Noble  Link
Smashwords  Link