Thursday, January 26, 2012

Interview with Nadine Rose Larter, author of COFFEE AT LITTLE ANGELS


We're honored to have Nadine Rose Larter, author of Coffee at Little Angels here today.

Nadine, how long did it take you from idea to publishing your novel?

Way too long! I thought of the idea about halfway through 2006, started working on it properly in 2007 and only finished it this year (2011). I hope the next one goes a little smoother. I don’t plan on getting divorced or pregnant for a while though so I think I can count on taking about a year with my current book.

Are you a plotter or pantser?

I’m a complete pantser. When I started writing fiction I tried to plot out as much detail as I could. But it was too much. The writer in me wasn’t interested in working from outlines or following formulas. Basically I start with a vague idea and let the story write itself. Sometimes it works.

What are you writing now or have forthcoming?

I’m currently working on a novel called The Tequila Thursday Writing Club. It’s about a man with writer’s block whose best friend tricks him into teaching a writing class in his living room.


Good luck with your next novel! I always find it interesting to learn what other authors are reading. If you could recommend a book—not your own—what book would that be?

Tony Parson’s One For My Baby or Nick Hornby’s How to be Good. I wish I was responsible for writing those two books!

Thank you, Nadine!

My name is Nadine Rose Larter and I was born in a small South African town called Molteno, somewhere in the heart of the Karoo. After my last year of high school I moved with my family to the city of Port Elizabeth where I now live with my son, my fiancĂ©, and my two step children. I’m a bit of a free-spirit and have never been happy having a “day job”. I spend my days writing, or thinking about writing. Sometimes I do a bit of work.

I have always been a writer. I started writing poems and short stories when I was little, and I have intermittently kept diaries since I was about nine years old. In the last two years I have started taking my writing more seriously and have made the decision to become a full-time author. I have no formal education, aside from a year of Literature and Creative Writing study, but I am constantly trying to grow as a writer. Sometimes being a wife and mom makes fitting it all in a little tough but I am learning how to juggle it all slowly.

I chose to self publish simply because it feels like taking my future into my own hands and running with it. There are no excuses when it is just you. The self-accountability can be thrilling sometimes. Being ready and then actually being able to move forward instead of waiting to hear from publishers has been a special kind of blessing. I am not closed to the idea of having a publisher, I am just ready to go on without one for now.

I write regularly on these four websites:

Passing the Open Windows

The Katalina Playroom

The Poetry Project

The Writers Club

You can follow me on twitter (@Nayes1982)

Or say hi on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/nayes)