Monday, February 25, 2013

Book Review: BOLERO by Joanie McDonell



Title: Bolero
Series: A Nick Sayler Novel, #1
Author: Joanie McDonell
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer (March 5, 2013)
Format: Paperback ARC
Source: Publisher
Genre: Thriller/Mystery


Bolero introduces Nick Sayler, the private investigator who lives aboard a Hudson River barge with a brilliant savant, a retired psychiatrist and a stunning Creole girl. But Sayler’s haunted by memories of the woman who took a bullet meant for him, so his good life is belied by a bad drinking habit. Then an emergency room doctor's desperate call about a ballerina with no memory and nothing on her except his card, changes everything. If he can dip into his notorious past to uncover the secret that will save the dancer, maybe he can finally save himself.

Review: Joanie McDonell’s Bolero introduces tormented private detective Nick Sayler in a new modern noir series.

Written from Nick’s point of view, Bolero is very well-written. McDonell breathes life into each character she writes. My favorite character by far was Meriwether. He’s such a mystery, and I feel like we’ve just grazed the surface of who he is. The dancer intrigued me, and every moment, I wanted to learn more about her and all the characters.

McDonell excelled not only in crafting her dialogue and characters but her descriptions. I could see the barge turned houseboat and the various places in New York and Connecticut where the story takes place. I wanted to learn as much about who the dancer was as Nick and the dancer did. The ballet and dance references really added to the story. The complex and fast-paced plot kept me guessing at every turn, and I had no clue how it would end until the very end.

I would recommend Bolero by Joanie McDonell to readers who like complex mysteries with a noir feel. I can’t wait to read more Nick Sayler novels!

 
Five Bookworms = I loved it!