Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hook Me: Transparent by Natalie Whipple

Title: Transparent
Author: Natalie Whipple
Publisher: Harper Teen (May 21, 2013)
Genre: YA Paranormal

Book Description: Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl. 

First line: I nearly died the second I was born. 
Last line read: “You should have just enough time to find your locker.” 

Overall Impression: This book has a very intriguing premise. Fiona is literally invisible. I like the glimpses of the worldbuilding within the sample, but right now I feel like I’m trying to catch up, I suppose. With the sample, I’m not sure I have a clear view of Fiona beyond the fact she worked in her father’s syndicate (like the mafia), is invisible, and that’s the only life she’s ever known. 

Would I keep reading?: Maybe.