Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hook Me: The Flight of the Sorceress by Barry S. Willdorf and Blogging Vacation

Title: The Flight of the Sorceress
Author: Barry S. Willdorf
Publisher: Wild Child Publishing (October 18, 2010)
Genre: Historical Fiction

Book Description: Falsely accused of sorcery, pursued across the crumbling Roman Empire by a tenacious bishop, the sorceress barely escapes the death by stoning.

It is 410 A.D. Rome is in decline. Church and state unite in a desperate attempt to preserve the Empire, instituting oppressive measures against women, eliminating religious dissenters and enslaving the poor. Books are burned, Teachers censored. Creativity crushed. A Dark Age falls across Western Europe.

But two women resist.


First line: Glenys was roused from sleep by pounding at the door.
Last line read: "I have a wife and baby."

Overall Impressions: I'm embarrassed to admit this, but this book has been on my to-read list for a LONG time, about since it was published. I do love history, though, particularly around the time of Ancient Rome, even though this book takes place a little past my expertise. The book is well-written, and I enjoyed the characters, particularly Glenys and Hypatia. Their struggles to deal with their time are intriguing, and I want to know more about these two extraordinary women.

Would I keep reading?: Yes!

***

Next week, I am taking a vacation from the day job, so I've decided to take a blogging vacation too. I'll be back with my next book review on Monday, August 5!