Monday, June 3, 2013

Book Review: The Faerie Prince by Rachel Morgan

Title: The Faerie Prince
Series: Creepy Hollow #2
Author: Rachel Morgan
Published: May 30, 2013
Genre: YA Fantasy/Paranormal

Format Read: Ebook ARC
Length: Novel
Source: Author

Guardian trainee Violet Fairdale is just weeks away from one of the most important occasions of her life: graduation. After messing up big time by bringing a human into the fae realm, Vi needs to step up her game and forget about Nate if she hopes to graduate as the top guardian of her year. Everything would be fine if she wasn’t forced to partner with Ryn, her ex-friend, ex-enemy, current ‘sort of friend’. They might be trying to patch up their relationship, but does she really want to spend a week undercover with him for their final assignment? On top of that, the possibly-insane Unseelie Prince is still on the loose, free to ‘collect’ as many specially talented faeries as he can find—and Vi is still at the top of his list. Add in faerie queens, enchanted storms, complicated not-just-friends feelings, and a murder within the Guild itself, and graduation is about to become the least of Vi’s problems.

 

Teasers: Tora looks as shocked as if I just told her the Seelie Queen died and was being replaced by a giant, fluffy quirkizil. [8% Ebook ARC. I want to know what a quirkizil is. It sounds cute!]

“Trust me, I’m not about to break that rule again.” [12% Ebook ARC. Yes, Vi mustn't break certain rules. Again.]

“Hey, Pixie Sticks,” Ryn says, “Look here.” He holds up a long, pink straw and shakes it, smirking at me. “Someone who can’t spell named a candy after you.” [14% Ebook ARC. This teaser had me laughing out loud and sharing it with my family.]

Ryn steps forward and catches me easily, as if catching falling girls is something he does all the time. [28% Ebook ARC. Such a swoonworthy teaser!]

I creep down a curving stairway constructed from nothing more than slim, black pieces of wood inserted into the wall on one side. [85% Ebook ARC. This staircase is one of my worst fears.]

Review: Graduating the top of her class may be the least of Violet Fairdale’s worries in The Faerie Prince by Rachel Morgan.

The Faerie Prince picks up around where The Faerie Guardian left off. I loved the character growth and developing relationships between the characters. Vi is an awesome faerie, but the reader also sees her softer side in this novel. The character who impressed me the most this time was Ryn, who is way more complex than I gave him credit for in book one. I love how we see more characters from the faerie world this time. Morgan also creates delightfully devious villains, whose morals come in shades of gray.

Morgan paints a brilliant faerie realm with its own modern advances. Each moment reading the novel, I was engrossed in the world. The plot is fast-paced and exciting, filled with adventure, horror, and beautiful romantic pauses that touched this reader’s soul. And that cliffhanger ending—oh my!—it’s one you just have to read and hope book three comes sooner rather than later.

Reading Rachel Morgan’s The Faerie Prince is like coming across an old friend and rekindling that friendship as if no time had passed. I highly recommend this series!

 
Five Bookworms = I loved it!

Other Books in the Series
 
Click here to read my review.

 
Click here to read my review.

 
Click here to read my review.

 
Click here to read my review.
These four parts are now part of one novel: The Faerie Guardian.